venerdì, luglio 28, 2006

Point of the situation

Hi!
First of all... sorry for my bad English!
This is the point of the situation for my current development. I made a web page but I prefere this blog... so I resume the previous posts here...
To have a presentation of the Ocelot Engine... read the previous (and first) post.


27 – July – 2006
These days I've planned to make the first test of the Ocelot texture classes.
So I've taken the Meshes directX9SDK tutorial and change the its texture loading to adapt it to the engine.
First! The texture loader didn't work! T_T too bad!!!
The problem was in the project settings that set the char code to Unicode type... not basically supported by DirectX.
This problem block me on the screen for two days... and two nights...
I've passed hours and hours to debug the code, make revisions, search on google and ask to my friends developers and also on the GameDev.net forums and chat...
Hahaha!!! I never think that the problem was a configuration... so finally now it works fine.
I've also implemented the debug version that shows message boxes to allow the programmer to discover bugs.
In the night.... I've coded the interface to the material class and the first material implementation. I've also provided an interface and a first class to set renderer... I've implemented the solid material renderer. At this moment the engine is designed to support multitexturing.
I hope to finish soon the material class and make a first real test!


24 – July – 2006
In the morning I've finished the texture storage class.
1>------ Build started: Project: OcelotEngine, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>OTexture.cpp
1>OTextureStorage.cpp
1>Generating Code...
1>Compiling manifest to resources...
1>Linking...
1>LINK : OcelotEngine.dll not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link
1>Embedding manifest...
1>Build log was saved at "file://BuildLog.htm"
1>OcelotEngine - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
0 errors, 0 warnings .... so good ^_^

23 – July – 2006
Hi!
I've selected the detail that the list class need, so I've begun to implement the texture storage class.
All the textures loaded are stored in a list... or better the list contains the pointers to the textures. That's good because I can control if a texture is already stored and avoid to load it 2 ore more times.
That system prevent an unless memory waste.


22 – July – 2006
Hi!
These days I was out for any things.
Yesterday I came back home, so I can take my project to go on in the development.
I need to have a storage class to perform the storage of anything I need.
I select list type.
Yesterday I've developed a first draft of the list, implemented as class templates.
All the implementation of the list is fully object oriented.


16 – July – 2006
Hi!
This day starts the development of Ocelot 3d. A graphic library.
I hope that the development can go on and I hope to be lucky to release a version of the engine.
Today... maybe tonight ^_^ I've developed the first class that manage a single texture loaded from a file.
I've spent 2 hours to project the class. I've used virtual inheritance to have an interface that you can see in the header file ITexture.h released and a real implementation OTexture.h/.cpp that is stored in the dll.
This is an hobby... so I've decided to develop this engine in a bottm-up system (Texture->Mesh->Node->SceneManager).
This engine will implement for visibility frustrum culling and also an OctTree system. I've not decided if I will create only octtree or both octtree and quadtree systems.